Monday, March 4, 2013

Sheep Amidst Wolves

Luke 10:1-24

Part of Jesus' ministry is sending his disciples out into the world to try their hand and healing the sick, proclaiming the word, and healing demons. No doubt Jesus sends them out before they feel ready or prepared, but he sends them out saying: "see, I am sending you out likes lambs into the midst of wolves." (Luke 10:3) Much like he had done with the 12 apostles, Jesus sends 70 followers into the world without money, food, clothing, and other provisions. He sends them out knowing full well that in many cases they will be treated harshly or rejected. Like lambs sent to the wolves. Does Jesus intentionally send us out into a hostile world knowing that some of us are going to be prey? Or is there something about being a lamb sent into the world that is important?

I will never forget my first week of being a pastor. I was fresh from seminary, full of energy and idealism and of course naive. I was called as an associate pastor of a large church that was just entering the public phase of a 7 million dollar relocation campaign. I sat in on over a dozen meetings that first week with all sorts of movers and shakers from the congregation. I had no idea who anyone was, the nature and history of conflict n the congregation, or what their agendas were. I was a lamb in the midst of wolves, and I, like all new pastors, got beat up in my first call. Would it have been better for me to know everything and be more cautious, studying the self-interests of each person? Perhaps I could have been more effective if I had been less naive, perhaps I would handle a few situations differently now, but the wisdom of Jesus sending us out before we are ready, is it forces us to rely upon God and not our worldly wisdom and personal strengths. I quickly learned in my first call that serving a church was very hard and that I needed divine assistance to survive. I was a lamb sent amidst the wolves who survived by trusting God and believing that even when rejected, I can grow in faith and obedience to Christ.

I believe sometimes our worldly caution and fear keep us from taking necessary risks. Sure there are wolves in the world, and we can and will be get hurt, but God will also help us learn and grow from our hardship. Plus, if we waited until we were ready to go out into the world no one would ever go!

No comments: