Monday, March 28, 2011

Healed in order to Serve

Read Matthew 8:14-17
When Jesus entered Peter’s house, he saw his mother-in-law lying in bed with a fever; he touched her hand, and the fever left her, and she got up and began to serve him. Matthew 8:14-15


One of my favorite stories of Jesus is how he heals Peter's mother-in-law so she could make them dinner. Ok so perhaps that isn't the point of the healing story but it seems almost selfish doesn't it? Ok fine, not so much but the point is that Jesus heals her from a fever and she immediately goes about "ministering to them." We see Jesus many times offering his services of healing to those who were sick, blind, deaf, or in need of some sort of healing. This story is unique because immediately after being healed the person starts serving others. For me this let's me know that not only do I stand in need of healing, but that the purpose of healing is not for me but to enable me to serve and love others. Too often we can get caught up in our own need for healing or too easily get bogged down in our own issues and problems. Peter's mother-in-law reminds us that we are healed in order to serve, we are loved in order to love, we are given grace in order to be gracious. Yes we need the healing power of God's love and grace in our lives but we need it so we can use our gifts to love and serve others. It is not about me but what God can do through me.

No comments: