Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Dwelling at the Feet of Jesus

As they continued their travel, Jesus entered a village. A woman by the name of Martha welcomed him and made him feel quite at home. She had a sister, Mary, who sat before the Master, hanging on every word he said. But Martha was pulled away by all she had to do in the kitchen. Later, she stepped in, interrupting them. "Master, don't you care that my sister has abandoned the kitchen to me? Tell her to lend me a hand."
The Master said, "Martha, dear Martha, you're fussing far too much and getting yourself worked up over nothing. One thing only is essential, and Mary has chosen it—it's the main course, and won't be taken from her."
Luke 10:38-42
As we move forward in week 1 of The Discipleship Challenge, we are focusing on making prayer a more integral part of our life. I have had many people tell me, after I explained the purpose of the challenge and the time investment needed to be successful, have told me how they are too busy to take the challenge. People are busy no doubt, but the challenge is exatcly what people who are too busy need in their life!
Our culture defines for us success in many ways, not the least of which is the busier you are the more important and successful you must be. We cram our schedules (and our children's schedules) with activity after activity, we run around like chickens with our heads cut off. We are stressed, anxious, and busy and as long as we buy into the myth that busyness equals success we will continue to be stressed, anxious, and have no time for anything.
Let me say it clearly: God is not impressed with you! God is not keeping track of all you do and judging you based on your efforts--God has already made up his mind about you! God offers unconditional love and grace that is completely separate from our efforts, our successes, and our many failures. God does not want you to run around like a crazy person and have no peace, joy, or happiness in your life. God wants a relationship of love, God wants your time, your energy, your focus.
I suspect many of us are like Martha. We run around trying to do everything for everyone and exhaust ourselves in the process. We have no time or energy left for ourselves or God. Mary, however dwells at the feet of Jesus, taking time to hear from God and find joy and peace in Jesus' presence. In many ways, taking intetional time to pray for 10, 20, or 30 minutes is a Mary way of life. Yes there are things to do, but there always will be. You will never be done with your to-do list, but if you take daily time with our Lord you may just find the "main course" rather than being stuck with the dishes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for initiating the Disipleship Challenge again this year. Many of us took on the challenge last year, but I for one am willing to take it on again this year. Am I pleased with my outcome last year? Yes and no, and that's ok. I learned alot about myself in my first attempt. I found I was human and had both strengths and weaknesses. Some weeks I did well and some weeks I struggled. My goal for this year is to try again. Like any other aspect in my life, I'll take what I've learned and try to apply it and improve upon it.

You're right, though, we are ALL busy. However it is important to make and take the time needed. It's about priorities. I have no doubt that in the long run I will gain much more than I give up.

PB said...

Thank you for sharing. The goal of the challenge is certainly not for any of us to be perfect, but simply to be encourage to invest time and energy into our spiritual lives. Thanks for your willingness to work on your faith and to encourage others by posting.