Saturday, January 24, 2009

Winter of Discontent

“Now is the winter of our discontent”
-opening line from Henry III; William Shakespeare

Let’s be honest: the weather has been truly awful this winter. It has been cold, snowy, and unrelenting. Even for me, a veteran of long depressing winters, this has been no fun and I am longing for days of spring, sunshine, and warmth. I know there are many who feel similarly, and some who truly suffer in this season.

In winter, we are restricted and confined, kept indoors by snow and ice. In winter, we struggle to keep warm and keep our spirits up. Compounding this is the current international financial crisis. We are worried about our jobs, our homes, our retirement, and our way of life. Anxiety, doubt, fear, and winter, what a glorious combination! In the midst of all these dis-ease, unhappiness, and discontentment, is there any good news to share?

As Christians, whether we know it or not, we have a deep storehouse of resources to combat difficult and challenging times. Scripture is filled with the story of God’s faithful action, intervention, and deliverance on behalf of God’s people. The stories of the exodus from Egypt, exile from Babylonia, and of course Jesus’ sacrificial death remind us of God’s deep love and compassion for us. God is neither absent nor unconcerned with our pain and suffering. God’s compassion and love for us is infinite and absolute.

It is also true however, that God does not shield us from unpleasant and difficult circumstances. God gives us strength to endure and the reminder of his presence, but the human experience is often filled with times of discomfort, pain, suffering, and hardship. God does not cause these things to happen, but they are allowed. For us then, times like these become opportunities for growth and development. What can we learn about ourselves in the midst of difficulty? How is this time in life preparing me for something later? How can I use this time to give God glory?

Times like these are never easy and require strong faith and confidence in the enduring presence, goodness, and love of God. Yet, we also know how this story will end. In Christ, we have our clearest picture of God’s heart. In Christ, we have a God of resurrection and redemption. In Christ, we experience the complete and total transformation of our lives and our world. In Christ, God transforms life from death, hope from despair, faith from fear, grace from guilt, victory from defeat. With full and certain knowledge we proclaim to the world, by the death and resurrection of Christ, confidence that despite a long and dreary winter, spring is on the way.


I have learned to be content with whatever I have. I know what it is to have little, and I know what it is to have plenty. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being well-fed and of going hungry, of having plenty and of being in need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.” Philippians 4:11-13

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The winter IS getting long! Although this time of year is typically bleak, I think this tough economy makes it that much harder to stay upbeat and focused.

Unknown said...

The winter IS getting long! Although this time of year is typically bleak, I think this tough economy makes it that much harder to stay upbeat and focused.

PB said...

thanks for your comment. how do you stay positive?

Unknown said...

My family keeps me focused. They all give me the support I need.