Wednesday, April 12, 2017

The Way, The Truth, and The Life

Do not let your hearts be troubled. Believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, so that where I am, there you may be also. And you know the way to the place where I am going.” Thomas said to him, “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?” Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you know me, you will know my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him.” John 14:1-7
As Jesus gathered with the disciples for the last time he knew he was heading to the cross. He knew and was prepared for what this would mean for him. He also knew the disciples would face many of their own challenges after his death. They would have to live in fear because of being hunted by the authorities because their direct connection to Jesus. They would also be tasked with starting the church; sharing the good news with all people and calling all to faith. As Jesus meet with them, he wanted to assure them that while he was leaving them he was not abandoning them. He would go ahead of them and prepare a place for them and then bring them to himself.


These words Jesus spoke, may not have been understood by the disciples at the time, but after his death they would provide great comfort and strength. Thomas was particularly confused about where Jesus was going. Thomas asks "how can we know the way?" Jesus tells him: "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." Jesus is the way to the father and by following in the ways of Jesus we will discover the truth about God and ourselves, and receive the promise of eternal life. Following the way of Jesus is the starting point for truth and discovering a life worth living.


This passage is often misused as a hammer against anyone claiming an alternative path to God or salvation outside of Christ. They reason that "if Christ is the way, then no other way can be legitimate." While I cannot affirmatively argue for another way to God outside of Christ, I do not think this is what Jesus had in mind. Jesus' statement was not given in the midst of a discourse about different religions and paths of salvation. He was trying to assure his disciples to not lose faith after his death. His message is that even in death, he is the way to God. Jesus' death on the cross does not invalidate his ministry, but rather proves it. Taken in this context, we can understand Jesus' goal to be to calm the fears and anxieties of his disciples, rather than making an abstract argument for the exclusivity of Christianity.


In the end, Christ offers us the promise that through him we can be in relationship with God. The way of Jesus leads to the cross and the empty tomb. The way of Jesus shows us the truth and offers us life. Faith calls us to believe and trust this promise. Outside of this promise, God gets to decide.


Prayer: Lord, let me follow your ways, live the life you have called me to and discover life in and through you. Help me to share your love and grace with all in my life, in Jesus' name, AMEN.

No comments: