Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Love in Action

Now before the festival of the Passover, Jesus knew that his hour had come to depart from this world and go to the Father. Having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end. The devil had already put it into the heart of Judas son of Simon Iscariot to betray him. And during supper Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he had come from God and was going to God, got up from the table, took off his outer robe, and tied a towel around himself. Then he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet and to wipe them with the towel that was tied around him. He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, “Lord, are you going to wash my feet?” Jesus answered, “You do not know now what I am doing, but later you will understand.” Peter said to him, “You will never wash my feet.” Jesus answered, “Unless I wash you, you have no share with me.” Simon Peter said to him, “Lord, not my feet only but also my hands and my head!” Jesus said to him, “One who has bathed does not need to wash, except for the feet, but is entirely clean. And you are clean, though not all of you.” For he knew who was to betray him; for this reason he said, “Not all of you are clean.” John 13:1-11
On the last night of his life Jesus chose to wash feet. He did this as an act of love and service. In ancient days, the wealthy would employ a servant at the door of the home to wash guest's feet as they entered. This was a luxury and considered to be beneath the master of the house to perform. This is why Peter is perplexed by Jesus' actions. Peter most likely thought the disciples should wash Jesus' feet not the other way around. Nonetheless, Jesus performs this humble aspect of hospitality because of his deep love for his disciples. He knew the end was near and wanted them to always know his love for them.


But Jesus' act of footwashing is not only an act of service and love, but also provides an example of faithful living. Jesus modeled servant love and calls the disciples, and us, to follow.


Little children, I am with you only a little longer. You will look for me; and as I said to the Jews so now I say to you, ‘Where I am going, you cannot come.’ I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” John 13:33-35


Jesus commands the disciples to love another, just as he loved them. He commands them to show so much love that all will recognize them as followers of Jesus because of their acts of love. The command to love others entails more than simple affection or care; it implies acts of compassion and sacrifice.


Love, understood from a Christian perspective, is action. Love is not a feeling to be expressed but serving others. We are to love others as Jesus loves us; completely, selflessly, and unconditionally. In a world filled with darkness, despair, brokenness and sin, love is the answer. Jesus commands us to love others because on our own we will struggle to love. Jesus commands us to love because we need to be constantly reminded of the gift of love we have been so freely given. Jesus commands us to love because love makes all the difference.


Lord, let your love rule my heart, mind, and actions. Let me love others as you have first loved me: freely, without condition, and with humility, in Jesus' name, AMEN.

No comments: