Monday, December 9, 2013

Focus on God

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust consume and where thieves break in and steal; but store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust consumes and where thieves do not break in and steal.  Matthew 6:19-20

Like most people, I have a lot of stuff.  I don't think about how much stuff I have very often; it is there but goes unseen. But I have a closet full of clothes, a full dresser, jackets, shoes, computers, furniture, gadgets, and lots of junk.  And I consider myself non-materialistic! I have been storing up for myself treasures on earth for sure!

When Jesus tells his listeners and us to store up treasures in heaven he is telling us to get our priorities straight.  Historically, he was most likely talking to people who were mostly in poverty and had very few possessions.  To them his message seems to be: do not aspire to be like the rich who hoard money and possessions, but instead focus your attention on God--the thing that really matters.  On the other hand, when you have a life of abundance and comfort you may not notice all that you have.  It can however become the focus.  We are not content to have enough, we have an appetite for more and more. 

The spiritual answer to wealth and possessions is developing deep trust in God and discovering contentment.  We need to realize that all we have is a gift from God and we are entrusted with what we have to give God glory.  God will continue to provide for our needs so we do not need to store up for ourselves and hoard.  This is challenging and difficult in our culture, but it helps unlock a life of more peace and a deeper sense of God's work in our life.  I am going to clean out my closet...

No comments: