Wednesday, April 13, 2011

What a Friend We Have

I've told you these things for a purpose: that my joy might be your joy, and your joy wholly mature. This is my command: Love one another the way I loved you. This is the very best way to love. Put your life on the line for your friends. You are my friends when you do the things I command you. I'm no longer calling you servants because servants don't understand what their master is thinking and planning. No, I've named you friends because I've let you in on everything I've heard from the Father. John 15:11-15
The life of a follower of Jesus is one filled with life-giving relationships. We are called to be in relationship with Jesus and one another, to receive and to share the love of God. We cannot live a meaningful and fulfilling life apart from God or from one another. Jesus tells us that "I am the vine, you are the branches" (John 15:5) signifying that we receive our vitality and connection through our relationship with him. Apart from Christ I am like a dead branch, dried up and useless, but connected to Christ I am alive and bearing good fruit for others. As Jesus prepared to travel to the cross he took time at the Last Supper to share last words of wisdom with the disciples. He knew the challenges and obstacles the disciples would face in the immediate aftermath of his death and the subsequent days, weeks, months, and years of the early church. The only way to remain faithful, for the disciples and us, is to abide in Christ. We must take time for Jesus in our lives, we must submit our lives to our Lord Jesus. We must also abide in one another, providing encouragement, support and love. Together we can journey with Jesus through whatever challenges we might face. Apart from God and one another, Satan will lead us astray by dividing and conquering. To have friends in our lives who share our connection and commitment to Christ is a true blessing. To have friends who are willing to go to hell and back with and for us gives us courage to be who God created us to be. To have friends who love as Jesus loved, willing to sacrifice and give of themselves fully brings hope and transformation. Who is that type of friend for you? Who are you that kind of friend for? Honor and treasure those relationships if you have them, make it a priority to develop those relationships if you do not.

No comments: