Saturday, April 2, 2011

The Place of Honor

"When you're invited to dinner, go and sit at the last place. Then when the host comes he may very well say, 'Friend, come up to the front.' That will give the dinner guests something to talk about! What I'm saying is, If you walk around with your nose in the air, you're going to end up flat on your face. But if you're content to be simply yourself, you will become more than yourself." Luke 14:10-11


Growing up a child I had the opportunity to experience "the kids table" many times. Our house was often the host for family dinners at Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. This meant that the adults gathered at the real table while the children (my 14 cousins and I) were in the other room. What made this strange for me is that I was displaced from my normal place at the table. I always felt like I was missing out and wanted to be part of the adult table.
When Jesus talks about taking the last seat at the table rather than the place of honor, he is really telling us that with our position in life, whether it is humble or grand, we need to see others with respect. When we have an inflated sense of self and look down upon others we are far removed from the Kingdom. When we see that others are honorable and worthy of praise we see how God sees them. As I grew older and became eligible to sit at the adult table I realized that there was nothing particularly unique or privileged about it. The adult table had ordinary conversation and the same food. In fact I now look back at my time at the kids table with fondness. That was where we shared laughs and made milk come out of Matt's nose! So may you embrace the seat of last place, making room for others to receive the dignity and respect God has for them. May you walk humbly, serving God and neighbor.

No comments: