Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Holy Week: Betrayed by a Friend

As Holy Week reaches its midpoint, and we immerse ourselves deeper and deeper into the story of Jesus, we can see how his disciples were such a big part of his life. Jesus spent day after day, year after year, with the disciples. He hand-picked them to be his followers, he taught them, he coached them, he mentored them, he empowered them, he supported them, he loved them. Their relationship was deeply personal, vulnerable, and cherished.

The only connection from my personal experience that even approaches the relationship Jesus had with the disciples, is the relationships I had as being part of numerous sports teams. Most striking were the relationships I had in college as part of the cross country and track teams. All my friends were runners; we ran together, ate together, socialized together, road tripped together, we were all very close and we knew each other in a powerful and formative time in our lives. Now as I look back many years later I realize just how unique and important those relationships were.

When I think of Jesus and the disciples I think of the relationships I had with my running friends. There are of course very important differences. We did not have a leader who lived among us (our coaches were included to a degree), we did not normally concern ourselves with spiritual issues (although you might be surprised), and we did not have the betrayal within the group that Jesus endured. The betrayal of Jesus by Judas was not only personally painful for Jesus but also the group. His betrayal was an existential threat to the very core of the way of Jesus.

The story of Judas, and his role in the suffering and death of Jesus is deeply troubling and complex. Did Judas betray Jesus? Was Judas acting on God's plan? Would God's plan be accomplished without Judas' betrayal? If so, is Judas really to be blamed?

The questions about Judas' actions, God's plan, atonement, and betrayal are too complicated to give justice to in this forum. I have personally struggled with Judas a great deal and am still trying to understand. And while the issue of Judas is very important to address, if allow ourselves to become fixated on his betrayal and miss the personal cost of his actions, we miss an important element in the story of Holy Week. Let us shift our focus from Judas to Jesus.

After saying this Jesus was troubled in spirit, and declared, "Very truly, I tell you, one of you will betray me." The disciples looked at one another, uncertain of whom he was speaking.
John 13:21-22

Jesus went through so much for us and for the world. His arrest, torture, crucifixion, and death were brutal, painful, and prolonged. Jesus did this all for us, and he did so with some inkling beforehand how it was all going to go. Jesus knew God's plan and what it entailed, so in addition to the physical suffering he endured, he also suffered with the knowledge of what was going to take place. I also believe that Jesus' suffering includes the emotional suffering of seeing a friend and disciple betray him. Judas betrays Jesus for money, and in doing so not only betrays his Rabbi, mentor, and Messiah, he also betrays himself. Imagine the pain and suffering Jesus endured watching Judas implode. Judas' betrayal is painful not just for the ensuing harm caused to Jesus, but for the damage caused to his relationship to Jesus, the other disciples, and to God.

Questions:
-What are the physical, spiritual, and emotional consequences of betrayal?
-If you have been betrayed in life, how did you deal with it? If not, how will you?
-If you have betrayed a loved one in life, how did you deal with it?
-How can broken relationships be restored and made whole?

Prayer: Lord, as I contemplate the suffering you endured for me, I ask that you forgive me for all of my betrayals: of you and others. Forgive me and give me the power to restore and renew my relationship with you and with others, and give me the power to forgive myself, in Jesus' name, AMEN.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!