Monday, March 6, 2017

Our Mouth, God's Word

Either make the tree good, and its fruit good; or make the tree bad, and its fruit bad; for the tree is known by its fruit. You brood of vipers! How can you speak good things, when you are evil? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. The good person brings good things out of a good treasure, and the evil person brings evil things out of an evil treasure. I tell you, on the day of judgment you will have to give an account for every careless word you utter; for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned. Matthew 12:33-37


Wow. Those last words really got my attention. Jesus tells us we will have to give an account for every careless word we utter. I can't speak for anyone but myself, but for me this would be a long list of careless words. Words of anger, words of hurt, words of judgment, words of gossip, words of hate, words of indifference, words of spite, words of violence, words that demean or belittle and on the list goes. There are so many words I have spoken that are careless and Godless, how could I ever give an account for the words I have spoken?


The real miracle is that any good words come out at all. This is Jesus' real point I believe. Whenever a kind, generous, thoughtful, uplifting, kind, gracious, merciful, encouraging or loving word comes from our mouth, it comes from God's work within us. Consider each time you could have or wanted to say something hurtful, but chose to say something kind (and not in a sarcastic way). This is God at work within us. This is God's work in the world.


The more God works on our heart, the greater the impact can be seen in our words. If mean-spirited, judgmental, an unkind words dominate my speech how can I truly say God is in my heart? Jesus knows the impact our words make on others and the daily opportunity we have to speak God's word to one another. Let us speak good things to one another and allow God to change our hearts.


Prayer: Change my heart O God, and let my words speak of the love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control that only comes from you. In Jesus' name, AMEN.

No comments: